Monday, September 7, 2009

Days 34-36

This weekend was a pretty good weekend. On Saturday, I went to school at 2, but the teacher wasn't there so I went to the teachers workroom to work on lesson planning. There was one teacher there, and she was very confused as to why I was there. Her English wasn't very good so she kept interrupting my brainstorming to ask me the same question over and over, in different ways. Finally, she called the English teacher and told her I was there. Then my co-teacher texted me and said I was supposed to have been there earlier. I apologized and said I thought I was supposed to be there at 2, like every other day. She seemed shocked and texted back "But it's Saturday." Yeah....In America, we don't go to school on Saturday. How should I know when to arrive? I don't dislike my co-teacher, but there isn't a lot of communication going on between us.

So after that miscommunication, she told me I only had to be there for an hour. So that was good. After I left, I returned home and then hung out with Daniel. We went in search for a church someone had recommended to him. Found the church quite easily and then we went to Victoria's house before dinner. She actually lives very close to me, and right across the hall from Sophia. Dominic isn't that far either.
We had dinner at some Kimbab place on College road. I hadn't really ever gotten to know Victoria before so it was a nice time. She's a sweet girl. After dinner, we made plans to meet for patbingsu (Asian 'ice cream') and then I went home.

Sunday was a good day. Daniel and I went to that church, Gongju Central Baptist Church. There isn't an English service and they don't have translating services, but Daniel speaks enough Korean to be able to translate for me. I mostly just enjoy listening. I enjoyed this church because it reminded me of home. It was about the same size as Valley View and they kept the reciting things together to a minimum. They also did something really sweet and gave roses to all the people at the service who were from foreign countries, so the pastor walked into the congregation and gave roses to three Chinese exchange students, as well as to myself and Daniel.
After the service, the church served a very nice lunch. We ate with the Chinese students and the pastor. I was the only one who couldn't speak Korean, but I enjoyed listening (I'm picking up and understanding a lot more these days!).

After church, Daniel and I stopped by Victoria's apartment to pick her up and then walked to the patbingsu place. I was so full from lunch at the church that I didn't think I could eat anything, but the servings are so big and Daniel looked so sad to have to eat the whole thing on his own, that I helped out. It was a different type than what I had previously, and I think I liked it more. It had melon flavored shaved ice, as opposed to the plain crushed ice in original patbingsu.

After Patbingsu, I had a meeting at a coffee shop with Nari and HaHyun to talk about a trip program KNU has that would pay for us to go on a weekend trip sometime if our plan was selected. I said I wouldn't mind going, and then we talked about things HaHyun could say at her upcoming interview in order to be selected to go to CC next semester. I really hope she gets selected to go. It would be so much fun to be a student with her here, and then to return home and study with her as well.


That was the end of my weekend.
Today was an okay day. I wrote a letter for a friend back home. I still have two more letters to write for friends.
I went to the elementary school and Chaewan and Hyoju and I went to the bookstore and picked out the text book for class. They don't seem to expect much out of me. I'm just supposed to teach out of the book. Kind of disappointed, actually. I was looking forward to the stressful challenge of making lesson plans every evening.
Chaewan seemed amazed by my powerpoint making abilities. Apparently people in Korea don't know how to make powerpoints. I had to find all the buttons and options in Korean, too, since I was using the school computer.

I didn't do much else today. After dinner, Jina and I went onto campus for a bit. We returned a lamp to YooJin and then went to the library so Jina could use a computer since hers is at the repair shop. While she was doing that, I went to the center for students with disabilities and chatted with HunYong.

Came home and messed around on facebook, talked with Carlos, a student from Belize, and helped Jina with her English homework.

OH YEAH! And before dinner, our landlady came to our room and gave us some fresh homemade bread! It was really delicious and I'm hoping to learn what it was later.

No comments:

Post a Comment