Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Days 45-52

You'd better believe it. I'm finally posting a blog update. It's been a busy busy week.

What happened since my last post? A ton, it seems!

I've met with a bunch of different conversation groups now. I have 9 conversation groups! Rob was going to cut it off at 7, but I said I had time to meet with the 8th group, and then some of my friends asked if they could meet with me. I still don't have any groups on Tuesdays so I said we could meet before I go to school.
The problem with so many groups is that I don't know their names! I feel absolutely terrible. Maybe I should have them all make nametags and then take pictures. :] I'm just kidding, I promise I won't do that. What I'm having them do is tell me their names, and then I'm writing the names in Korean on the paper I have that shows when I meet with everyone and where. I'm practicing listening and writing Korean that way.

This past weekend, Henry and Ji came into Gongju; However, Ji didn't arrive until Sat. evening. Late Saturday morning, we (myself, Victoria, Daniel, Henry, and Joy) decided to have a brunch picnic at the river. It was really nice, but because we didn't get there until 12 and I had a meeting at 1, I didn't have long to stay. However, my meeting with Meok and the department assistant was a lunch picnic at the river! I got to go to a stream leading to the Geumgang, and it was so beautiful there! There were native plants and flowers, and the gazebo we used was right next to the river. I also got to try Sundae. According to wikipedia, it is "made generally by boiling or steaming cows or pig's intestines that are stuffed with various ingredients." It sounds kind of gross, but it tastes really good!

After lunch, we went to the Gongju National Museum. It was fun, but very tiring. After that, the department assistant dropped Meok and I off at school. But before she let us go, she made me to the "O-Ring test." It's an alternative medicine thing, where you are tested for things that are powerful for you. It was weird how it worked! Apparently, white and yellow are bad colors for me. Black, pink, and green are good colors. A silver wedding band would be best, as gold on my ring finger made me very weak.

The rest of the weekend was pretty uneventful. We had patbingsu, went to church, had lunch, and then I spent most of Sunday working on lesson plans. It was terrible! I absolutely hate lesson planning. I want to make my classes fun, but sometimes I can't think of anything to do!


I think I might be moving out of my honeymoon phase finally. I seem to be getting sad very easily. (But then again, that's not all that unusal for myself. I'm a crybaby.) People are still asking me about life back home and talking about it just makes me want to cry. There is one question in particular that people ask which usually makes me cry when I get home. I hate missing home this much. I don't want missing home to color my time in Korea as a sad time. It's not like Korea is a bad place, or I'm not having fun. It just isn't home, and there are things and people I love back home that I feel so far away from here in Korea.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry that your honeymoon phase seems to be ending, we miss you as well. So glad that you are updating your blog and letting us know what you are doing while there. I don't think I could of tryed that "Sundae" thing, what did it look like? Wow, 9 conversation groups! That in itself would keep a person busy. How are your elementary students doing? Rosie should be on her way to you tomorrow. Keep your chin up!
    Love Ya,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete