Saturday, September 12, 2009

Days 38-42

Oh dear! I've been so busy and I'm just getting started! I have at least seven conversation groups meeting next week, and I'm sure I'll have even more after Tues., when the last class finds out about it. I also have my first day of teaching tomorrow. I'm pretty nervous about that.

Lets see what I've done since my last post. Thursday...I was pretty emotional. I felt very happy in Korea, and I still do, but some friends said I seemed to be very negative about Korea and the Korean culture. I thought I was just making comparisons between the cultures, but I came across as saying Korea wasn't as good as America. Not at all what I was saying! However, I'm working on trying to make it sound like the difference is a good thing for Korea, no matter what the difference is, since I can't avoid making comparisons (people are constantly asking me what the biggest differences are).

I went for a walk to the Geumgang (Geum River) with Jina, and I learned how to say "I want to go fishing". I really do want to go fishing. Apparently though, it's only something old men and poor families do. However, I'd still like to do it. I think fishing is relaxing, and I think it could be a fun experience. I do worry that the Korean's who are fishing will think I am making fun of them or looking down on them if I participate. I'm constantly worried now that people are going to see what I am doing because I want to join in, and think that I'm doing it because it's weird and I think it's funny. I think part of that idea might come from the fact that many Korean's think that America is all big cities like NYC and L.A. and D.C., and that Americans aren't poor and don't work on the land or do things like hunting and fishing. Everyone has been so shocked when I say I love how I can see nature all around me here in Gongju, and that I want to go fishing.

Friday morning, I had my first conversation group meeting. I think it went well. I did get asked to speak a little slower, which I was expecting. The next time that group meets, we will talk about our cultures and tourist places, since we are people from three different countries: America (just me), Korea, and China. I didn't do much else on Friday. Henry, a friend teaching in another city, came into town Friday night, so a group of us went out to dinner.

Saturday was such a busy day! Victoria and I went to Daniel's place for peanut butter and jam on toast for breakfast with Daniel and Henry. Then we hung out until around noon, when Obed and Jess (two more friends teaching in another city) came into town. They went to lunch and the river, while I went to my first Korean lesson. We didn't really work on any Korean. Meok just wanted to know what I wanted to learn and figure out when we will meet. We didn't figure out when we will meet just yet, but I think we are going to cover that today.
After meeting with Meok, I called Daniel to catch back up with everyone. They were going to CanMore, for patbingsu. I met them there, we ate, and then we went across the street for Noraebang, since Obed and Jess really wanted to do it. We only paid for one hour, but they aparently give one hour service(In Korea, service means freebie) to everyone. However...we got an hour and 20 minutes extra! So we were there for two and a half hours. I only sang one song, since I'm really not into singing into microphones. When we left, my legs were still feeling shaky from singing. -_-'
After Noraebang, we all walked to the bus terminal to drop off Obed and Jess, and then Joy, another friend teaching in Gongju, came on the city bus and we went to dinner at Mary Poppins, an Italian place. After dinner, it was time for dessert at Happy Box. You can sit in porch swing-like benches while you eat! I thought they were super cute, but Joy didn't much like them. I think they made her feel a little sick.
After dinner, the boys walked Joy and I back to the bus terimal area. We waited until Joy got on the bus, then came to my place so I could give the guys the extra bedding Jina had brought from home, so that Henry didn't have to sleep on the cold floor at Daniels (he was complaining about it all day!). After they left, I got online and talked with Megan on Skype for a bit. It was nice to talk with her. I miss being around Megan. She always made me feel like I should be doing something, since she always seemed to be busy with five things at once.

This morning, I met up with Daniel, Victoria, and Henry at a coffee shop before church. The Kiwi juice there is delicious! We split up after that, and Daniel and I rushed to be on time for church while Victoria and Henry went to the bus terminal so Henry could go home.
Church was good. The message was about how in order to be "like an army of God", we need three things. First, there has to be many of us. Second, we need to have one heart, one mind, one goal. And third, we need to share with each other.
Daniel and I again stayed for lunch after church, and ate with the pastor's wife. She is a very nice lady, and her English is fair.

I returned home after church to await my Korean lesson with Meok at 3. Only an hour left!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it doesn't sound like your days are too uninteresting! It sounds like you are very busy. So they wanted you to slow down talking, hmmmm wonder why that was. I miss you and love you

    MOM

    ReplyDelete