Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Day 10

Lets see here. I remembered to take my camera with me today! However....the battery died after I took a picture of my breakfast. I guess that's a good place to start with the day!


My breakfast this morning was a hotdog on a hoggie bun. No joke. I knew Korean's did not have any distinctions between meals, but I wasn't expecting that.
We went on a field trip today to an elementary school in Cheon-An and then we went to an English camp. The school was a very nice school. The instructor that I watched however...basically showed me what not to do. I don't know if she was just nervous or if it was her first day or something, but she was really bad at it. She would say big words very fast and she wouldn't give the kids time to repeat after her. She just kept saying over and over "Destination. It's where you're going. Destination. Destination. Destination. It's where you're going." And she kept trying to get the kids to say France with a French accent, although she didn't have an accent for anything else.

At English camp...we were paired up with a kid to participate in their 'olympics', bascially another wacky sports day. My little kid did not want to be partners with anyone. I honestly think it was mainly her friend who kept pulling all the little girls away, because when the teacher said they had to have a partner, she came right over while the other girls kept hesitating.
My girl didn't speak any English, and I don't speak enough Korean to be able to communicate. I spelled my name in Korean, and asked if one of the girls was her friend but that was all.
I mostly just cheered for our team.

After two hours of yelling and cheering and clapping, I had a pretty bad headache, so I was ready to leave. I thought maybe I would be able to sleep on the bus ride back, however....everyone else decided it would be fun to do NoRaeBang on the bus. So they turned it on an started singing. Some were pretty good, others were just being silly and bad on purpose.

When we got back to Suwon, they dropped us off outside the movie theater, gave us a free movie ticket and 10,000won (like $10) for dinner. Because I still had a headache, and Ji wasn't feeling well, we went across the street to HomePlus, where I picked up a box of frosted flakes. Ji bought some new headphones and then we headed back to the dorms. On the way, Ji bought some food from one of the little shops along the road.
I talked about guys, and she just walked along and nodded when needed.

I am looking forward to classes tomorrow. Our two morning classes are Korean Pop Dancing and Approaching Pronunciation in Elementary Education. Our two afternoon classes are How to Utilize Drama & Storytelling and Taekwondo. I will also have a Korean lesson. No lesson today because most people are at the theaters still.
And....I got invited to go do NoRaeBang this Friday. I think Jina and I were planning on going to the movies, but if we go early enough, and Jina wants to, I think we could still go, because they aren't planning on going until 9:30.

OH YEAH!
I almost forgot something really funny that happened today when we were at the English camp.
There is a guy in my classes, Greg (I might have mentioned him before). He is...there isn't a nice way of putting what he is. He's arrogant, narcissistic, and rude.
Well today, he asked the guy who was explaining what the English program is like how he controls his students and Greg said something along the lines of "We've only been taught how to do silly girly things like 'Listen to the teacher". When he said that, he was making fun of Kitty, one of the previous scholars who was teaching us (She is from New Zealand so she has a fun accent and says "teach-AH" instead of "teach-ER"). Anywho, that's not the funny part. The funny part was when Dan, the man explaining the program said "Are you by any chance from South Africa?" When Greg said yes, Dan said "Ah! So that explains where the male-dominance question came from!" We all laughed. Greg has not made friends very easily because of his attitude towards women. He called a bunch of girls in our group fat on sports day. That made a ton of people mad, and not just the girls he said that about. A bunch of the guys and most of the girls are avoiding him now. And word has spread to other groups so not many girls are giving him nice looks these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment