Thursday, August 13, 2009

Day 11

Today I had two fun classes! My first class was Korean Pop Dancing. We sort of learned the dances to two different pop songs. I say sort of because they didn't teach us the whole dance, and even what the taught us was so hard, I didn't really learn it all.

My class after that was actually a very entertaining class. The instructor was a very good entertainer and he told us that we need to be "teacher-tainers" because we teach, but we should also entertain our students. And he told us we should not worry so much about grammatical rules and exact pronunciation, but we should focus on getting the kids confident and passable at having a conversation in English. He also told us that young children are very good at mimicry, so we should use that as a tool and speak as much as possible.

Lunch was...not that tasty. I just had rice and fish. The fish had a ton of bones so it was really hard to eat, and it was very salty so it was very hard to enjoy eating. I didn't eat a ton, but I was still really slow at eating, so everyone was done and gone before me. Mark stayed with me until I was finished though, and I thought that was very nice.

My third class today was really boring. The lecturer just read through her lecture, which we all had printed in our handbook. It was rather funny because her lecture was on how to be a good storyteller.

My last class of the day was Taekwondo. It was tough! I'm terrible when it comes to complicated moves. Moving both hands very quickly at the same time is very difficult for me. And I had to be partners with Greg (the jerk guy) twice! The first time, we just had to run, jump and clap hands. That wasn't so bad except that his hands were very sweaty and he tried telling me what to do, even though the instructors said my row was the leaders and his row was the followers.
The second time we had to pair up, we were 'pretend sparing' and we were just supposed to tap the other persons shoulder. When we started to get paired up, he said "I don't want to do this. I'm not going to hit a girl." That made me mad that he was saying he didn't want to be partners with me because I was a girl. I didn't want to be partners with him either, but that's the way it worked out so we had to do it. No use complaining about things we can't change. I told him "Don't be so dumb. We're partners. And you aren't going to be hitting me. You're just supposed to tap my shoulder." I guess he heard that as "Go right ahead and get in my face and slap my shoulders like we're in a girl fight." The minute we started, he was all over my and he just kept slapping my shoulders. I couldn't do much to block his arms because I was trying to keep him from getting too close to me. But his arms are longer, so he could reach past the distance I was putting. And then when we were done, he did something that I was really mad about. The loser is supposed to do 10 push-ups, so I started to do push-ups because I had lost. He then says "Oh, you shouldn't be doing push-ups. You're a girl. I'll do the push-ups instead." I just continued to do my 10 push-ups.

After that, it was dinner time. I had dinner with my roomie and her friend Brock. We discussed our weekends plans, how much of a jerk Greg is, as well as how cute the instructor was who taught my second class. After dinner, they headed back to the dorms, and I went down some stairs towards a band practice room that was under the stairs, because I heard the band practicing and I wanted to listen to them again. I sat outside on the stairs and just listened. Some of them would come out of the room to go upstairs and back down but they never really said much to me. Eventually though, one of the guys waved at me, and when I waved back, he asked me "Why are you here?" I mentioned that I just wanted to listen, and they said I could go in the room with them. Turns out this under-the-stairs storage room is quite big! And they've got it decked out quite nicely. They have an outer room as well as a practice room, that has padded walls. Their band name is GoPoom and they said they are "Kyung Hee's Rock club." They then asked me if I wanted to join. :D I told them I was only there for a while, and I didn't play any instruments but I liked to listen. They then started asking me about what kind of music I like and what my favorite rock band is. I said I liked just about everything so they started asking me about different bands. One of the guys thought that Green Day was the greatest band ever. Another guy, the drummer, really liked Metallica. His shirt said "God so loved the world that he gave his only son". I don't know if he really knew what it meant, but I thought it was a nice thing for me to see.
I didn't get any of their names except for 은영(EunYoung). I'm hoping they don't mind if I go there after dinner again tomorrow evening. I really enjoyed spending time with them, even if they were asking me a ton of questions and it felt a little awkward at times. I really did like it.

And I guess I'm going out for Noraebang tomorrow night. So late! But I guess I can survive.

3 comments:

  1. Kayla, hi...this is Dot Maasen...live at 1600 Tundra Ct. Tried to sign on to your blog several weeks ago when your Mom gave it to me but for some reason could not. So she came over last night and was kind enough to help me do this. Have never done this before. Hope this finds you well and enjoying your adventure. Had a wonderful visit with your Mom last evening. How very lucky you are to have such a caring Mom! No news to tell...raining just a bit but weather is absolutely wonderful...think we are in for a very early fall season.

    Take care, stay safe...
    Dot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayla just stopping by to say hi and wishing you the best. Grandma and i are trying to post a comment to your blog, so this is a test.-gabe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grammy says Hi, and she will post on the 'morrow.

    ReplyDelete